Tangy Asparagus with Lemon & Mustard

My dad doesn't eat "A" vegetables. A vegetables include artichokes, asparagus and avocados (although you can't keep him from a bowl of homemade guac). They are,  however,  some of my favorite eats.


Anyway, this weekend at the market, we found bunches of asparagus for $1.50 or two bunches for $2.00. Deal? Yes! So, of course, we picked up two*. To keep it from getting monotonous, I looked into some other ways of preparing it besides the normal oil, salt, pepper, roast. I love roasted asparagus, but three times a week and I'm looking for something else to try.

I came across this recipe a month or so ago, and thought I would give it a try this week. It was only one step further than the oil, salt, pepper, roast method. But that last step kicked it way up.

Ingredients:

3/4 pound fresh asparagus
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper



So, to start, break or cut the woody stems off the asparagus.Line a baking sheet with the stalks and drizzle olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. I usually then toss them together to make sure that I coat all sides. Roast in the oven at 400 F for about 10 minutes or until tender. We tend to keep ours a bit firm.

While the asparagus is in the oven, mix up the vinaigrette. Mix the lemon juice and mustard and then slowly drizzle in the olive oil, mixing while you pour. Season with salt and pepper. I found our lemon to be extra juicy, so I added a bit more olive oil than called for because it was a little too acidic for my taste.


Once the asparagus is done, transfer to a serving dish or plate and drizzle the vinaigrette over the stalks. If you are used to asparagus roasted or steamed, the first bite will shock you. The tang of the mustard and the lemon was a nice compliment with the woodsy, smokey flavor of the asparagus, it just was more flavor than I expected, so my taste buds were not prepared. It's a good change, though, and a tasty combination. I hope you try it while asparagus is still inexpensive and in season.

* To keep asparagus fresher longer, we put the stalks in a juice glass and fill 3/4 up with water. It also makes a bouquet of green deliciousness in the fridge, so it's much more fun than a plastic bag or Styrofoam container.

0 lovely comments:

Post a Comment