It's my Birthday and I'll Pie if I want to!

Me and pie have had a love affair for quite some time. I love the variety that can be found in pies. I suppose one could argue cake can be equally interesting, but I usually find cakes (especially with icing) to be too sweet for my taste. So, if I had the choice, I would choose pie every time. Which is why, on my birthday, my mom would make me this amazing French Silk Pie instead of birthday cake.


But sadly, this is the first year in 27 years that I haven't been home for my birthday. Which meant I was not getting a mom made pie or dad made dinner.  So I did what every woman with a birthday induced chocolate craving would do, and I got the recipe.


Ingredients:

1 lb. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
4 squares baker's chocolate
2 tsp. vanilla
1 precooked pie shell
4 pasturized eggs

Suprisingly, I had everything on hand. Plus, it's such and easy and foolproof recipe, I promise you can't screw it up.

Start out by making and cooking the pie shell. It will need to be cooled before you can add the batter, so chill in the fridge or let cool on the counter to room temperature before starting your batter. I'm still working out the kinks of pie crust making, so mine was a little misshappen, but I assure you, it did not affect the flavor. I also kept my crust a bit thicker since I like it, especially with this pie.

Once the crust is cooled, cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.


Once it is creamed, add the melted (but cooled!) chocolate and the vanilla extract.


Once they are thoroughly mixed together, add one egg at a time and after each egg is added, beat for 5 minutes on medium.



This allows the egg to smooth and lighten the sugar-butter mixture. Once the eggs are added and beaten, your batter is ready to pour into the cooled pie shell. I used one large pie shell and one smaller one that was just for me. Because it's my birthday and I know Nick will eat half of every slice I get for myself, even though he "doesn't like pie." *eyeroll* :)

 

Cover and refrigerate. My mom recommends letting it set in the fridge overnight, but she told me that 2 hours is the true minimum - she must know how impatient I am when it comes to pie.



Hope you all had a great 2010 and I wish you an even better 2011!

1 lovely comments:

  1. This pie looks and wonderful!! Happy Birthday!! And thanks for a great new recipe.

    ReplyDelete