Cinnamon Rolls


My mom makes these cinnamon rolls and they are to die for. I miss them. So I begged and begged and begged her for the recipe and she finally shared it. So I got right to work. Because they are amazing - the crispy caramelized cinnamon sugar filling on the bottoms, the warm gooey cream cheese icing on the top....I almost didn't finish this post because they were calling me into the kitchen...



Lucky for you, I did, because they are delicious. And one of my favorite things is that they can be made ahead of time. Make them the night before, pop them in the refrigerator and you're all set for an easy and delicious breakfast the following morning. Or freeze in small batches to thaw later overnight in the refrigerator and bake for an easy weekday breakfast.
Mom's Cinnamon Buns
Ingredients:
1 c. warm milk (or cream)
2 eggs, at room temperature
1/3 c. melted butter
4 1/2 c. bread flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 c. sugar
3 1/2 tsp yeast
1 c. packed brown sugar
2 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1/3 c. butter, softened.

Dissolve the yeast in the milk, add the sugar, salt and butter. Add the eggs and mix well and add the flour until it forms a ball. Place into a prepared (butter or oiled) bowl, cover and let rise until it doubles, about an hour.


While the dough is rising, mix the brown sugar, cinnamon and butter with a fork until it is combined into a "paste" - no pockets of butter or cinnamon.




After the dough has doubled in size, put it on a floured surface and let it rest for ten minutes. Then roll the dough to about 16x21 inch rectangle. Drop the cinnamon/brown sugar mixture in small pieces on to the dough. Make sure to coat the dough evenly with pieces of the mixture. I used an offset spatula to spread it around to the edges evenly. Starting at the long side, roll the dough. Cut the roll into 12 pieces and place rolls into a greased 9 x 12 pan*.



At this point, you can cover and let rise until double to bake (about 30 minutes). Or you can cheat and put them in the refrigerator so that you can bake them in the morning. Just take them out and let them come to room temp before you start to bake. Either way, bake them at 400 degrees for about 15-18 minutes.


While they are baking, beat:
3 ounces cream cheese
1/4 c. butter
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt


When rolls are warm, but not too hot, frost with the cream cheese icing.

 

 * We used a 9" x 9" pan and then had a couple smaller pans to place in the freezer.

This post is linked to the Sunday's at One Food Club hosted by Cocina Diary.

10 lovely comments:

  1. Oh boy these are going to be a HIT here! I haven't made cinnamon rolls in a few years, this post is making me want to run to the kitchen now & make up a batch! I LOVE the shot of the cut but unbaked rolls, the cinnamon swirl is beautiful. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. These look soooooo good. I love cinnamon rolls. I also love the idea of doing them up the day before and putting them in the fridge. Brilliant! We will have to try these some time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW - Those look so great... I would love to make these from scratch... I'm just not sure if my ADD would kick in :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's actually pretty quick if you have a stand mixer to help in kneading the dough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet the house smelled wonderful while those were in the oven. Look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, I must stop visiting you late at night...how I would love one of those right now:)
    I must make them soon...thank you and thanks to your mom for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will try this tonight, where do the eggs go though?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good catch! They go in with the eggs and other wet ingredients at the beginning. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's okay all your recipes are fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete