Reaping the Benefits...

...of a husband who loves to plant things. Seriously, he has the *Midas Touch* in gardening. Don't believe me? Just check this out:


Nick came in from our balcony and said bluntly - "We need to eat chard, like today," and passed me a big, lush bouquet of chard.




I love chard. It's one of those veggies that is really so versatile. Sauteed with a little garlic and onion and you have a simple side dish that compliments almost any meal. It's an easy substitute for spinach in dishes like pastas and ravioli fillings. I've also used thin, wilted strips of chard in quiches and the like.

I felt like something a little different, so I consulted my How to Cook Everything cookbook by Bittman. He had a simple, but flavorful recipe for chard with olives, shallots and feta. It was simply scrumptious. It was relatively easy to prepare. I made it while our pasta was cooking and the clam sauce was simmering on the stove.


Nick mentioned that this would also work well as a stuffed mushroom filling, mixed with a little bread crumb, for a quick appetizer. The saltiness from the olives and feta would be nice with the earthiness of mushrooms.

0 lovely comments:

Post a Comment