Thanksgiving ReMix - Stuffing Stuffed Shrooms

Stuffing Stuffed Shrooms.


Try saying that three times fast. Whew. But they are tasty. And a quick side or appetizer. You could use smaller baby bellas or common white mushrooms if you want small appetizer portions, but we used portobellos and served with a salad.

Ingredients:
2 portobello mushrooms
1/4 c. pecorino romano
1 1/2 c. leftover stuffing (my recipe follows)


Not that I need to explain, but place the stuffing in the mushrooms. I don't add any olive oil or salt and pepper since the stuffing is seasoned nicely and contains enough moisture to ensure a second baking. If yours is a bit on the dry side, just drizzle with olive oil.

Bake for 15 minutes (or until heated through) on 350 F. Top with cheese and bake for another 5 minutes.


Stuffing

I first made this in college when my roommate and I threw a dinner party for our upstairs neighbors. I really liked the flavors and so I've kept it and made it any occasion that I could have since. I first got the recipe from recipezaar, but have made a few revisions since.

Ingredients:
1 stick butter
3 c. onions, chopped
3 Granny Smith apples,cored, peeled and chopped
5 stalks celery, chopped
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
2 tbsp dried sage
1 pinch nutmeg (but you know, pinch a lot)
2 loaves french bread
4 c. chicken stock
1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
3 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
salt and pepper (to taste)

Melt the butter on medium heat and saute the onion, celery, apples and garlic. Once soft, add the dried sage, nutmeg and the bread cubes. Toss to mix the veggies and the bread cubes. Add the stock, fresh thyme and fresh sage. Season with the salt and pepper and spread in a 9" x 13" pan. Bake in a 350 F oven until the top is golden. It's a moist stuffing that has never dried out on me and I really like the apple flavor with the turkey - and later, mushrooms :)

0 lovely comments:

Post a Comment