Food Waste Friday

So, I have been wanting to join in on The Frugal Girl's Food Waste Friday  for a while now. I think it's a brilliant idea. Nothing like embarrassing yourself all over the internet to change a bad habit.

I'm sort of a food hoarder. I don't know where or how I got this gene, but I have it. It's ironic because I tend to be very streamlined with other things and belongings. Sometimes this quirk works in my favor - my well stocked pantry has meant fewer trips to the store and makes my meal preparation pretty efficient. The downside is that less stable items tend to go bad before I have a chance to use them. Especially if we have some unexpected scheduling. 

Here's what went bad this week:

a container of whipped cream. I originally made this to top some strawberries and lemon curd. But I ate all the strawberries and still had some of the whipped cream left. I should have gone and bought more berries, because it's a shame to waste homemade whipped cream.

a container of rice.  This was one of those things that found it's way to the back of the fridge and...yuck. I think it's over two weeks old.

dressing. That would be the pink container there - cranberry dressing I made for salads a while back.

eggplant. I bought this for dinner one night, but with all the craziness that's been going on around here, I never got to make the intended dinner.

pasta sauce. Not pictured. My husband found this in the door with a nice layer of mold on top of the remaining sauce and pitched it.

For the good news: We were gifted a LOT of citrus. I can't even caps enough to emphasize how much we got when visiting my hub's aunt (she has tons of fruit trees). Most of it is super fresh and will last a bit, but she did give us a few oranges (blood oranges no less) that were beyond ripe. I made those into a tart almost the minute we got home, so I'm happy to report that those will not be pictured for FWF!

Hopefully next week is a little better!

5 lovely comments:

  1. Oh, I love whipped cream so much, I would have just eaten it straight up. It's also good on pancakes, waffles, or just about whatever else strikes your fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess - Glad you posted a comment over at mine, have now found you! Liking the look of the lovely food... Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to a better week next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for posting this!! I've been posting on FWF for a couple of weeks, and I've seen things improve greatly. The first week was the worst. I find that knowing I will be posting automatically changes my attitude about what's in the fridge, and even what goes into it in the first place. I've become much more flexible and creative out of sheer necessity! Eggplant is tricky. It really takes some time to process it (salt it just right and cook it,) so it can be tempting to put off. If you ever need to use it for something quickly, you can cube it, saute', and throw it into some tomato sauce with mushrooms. That freezes really well and you can thaw and put it on pasta or pizza anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jess. It is good to see you have joined in with FWF. It doesn't look like you are doing bad at all and I'm sure it will improve with the continued accountability! I really enjoyed looking around your blog!

    ReplyDelete